Saturday, January 17, 2009

The Meaning of My Blog's Name

Welcome to Techgnos, a new blog by an employee of the Alachua County Library District to report on my exploration of Web 2.0 technology through 23 Things @NEFLIN.

So what's up with the funny blog name?  (Say it TEK-nohss.  Ch to be pronounced like k.  G silent.  O long.  Hiss the s.)  Okay, so now it's pronounceable--but what's it supposed to mean?

Well, tech is the first syllable of technology, and gnos derives from gnosis, which means arcane knowledge.  A techno is someone with lots of technical knowledge.  A gnostic is an earnest seeker after hidden truths.

So I guess I hope the name suggests a quest for as-yet-undiscovered technological information, which is what 23 Things at NEFLIN embodies for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment