Friday, April 10, 2009

Thing #23: The Survey




TELL ME WHEN IT'S OVER

I took the survey. I told it like it was and tried to be nice about it. I worked hard to be succinct. Is it over now?

I'm wondering if I should go back and spiff up a few things. Proofread. Add some images. Do some of the challenges. Read more of others' blogs.

There wasn't time to do everything I wanted to the first time around. Hmm. . . .




THING #1 CHALLENGE: BLOGGER GADGET

I returned to Thing #1 and decided to add a gadget to the layout of my blog. I saw were lots of cool possibilities (originally from Feedburner) from which to choose.

I was torn between Cat Quote of the Day, The Zip Zap Game (a game about grabbing books), and Google Book Search.

I finally settled on Google Book Search because it required no lateral scrolling. The four searches I tried were--can you guess?--unicorns, bengal cats, harps, and perfume. All yielded interesting results. Try it!

NOTE: It's a little glitchy, but still cool. If, when you first arrive at Techgnos, the windoid for Google Book Search seems to expand and expand all the way down the left side of the window, just click on the Refresh button. That seems to stop it.


THING #5 CHALLENGE: PIKNIK

This looked interesting, so I clicked on the link to learn more about the Piknik / Flickr partnership. I took a look at the Piknik FAQs and took the tour.

Creating a collage looked fun, so I put together a (slightly kooky) collage of some of the photos I shot for this year's Summer Reading Program Training.

Here it is!


Notice how I've learned to insert pictures where I want them in the text?

They still paste in at the top of the blogpost, but I've learned how to click on the Edit HTML tab so I can cut-and-paste the code to appear where I want it.

I feel such a sense of accomplishment!


THING #8 CHALLENGE: TWITTER

Twitter looked intriguing when I flashed by it while doing Thing #8 a few weeks ago. Because I was so far behind, I couldn't take time to do any of the challenges.

I reluctantly had to give Twitter a pass. I'm delighted to have finished up early (just barely!) and had time to go back and check it out.

The Common Craft Show video was succinct and informative, as always.

I signed up and decided to stalk--sorry, follow--four celebrities: NPR's Scott Simon, Weird Al Yankovic, actor LeVar Burton (may Reading Rainbow and Star Trek--The Next Generation live forever) and fantasist Neil Gaiman.

I didn't think it would be a good idea to hand over my email password to let Twitter search for tweating friends, so I didn't.


I posted my first tweat. In plain English, no abbreviations. I'll have to learn those.

I wandered around the Twitter site looking for people I know. I decided to follow five people who have names that are the same as those of people in my department.

I'm not sure if these are actual colleagues or just namesakes. Perhaps their tweats will reveal this to me.

I uploaded an image to my profile and added three Twitter related gadgets to my iGoogle page: TwitterGadget, TwitterLit, and KidderLit.

Twitter Gagdet lets me access Twitter from iGoogle, and TwitterLit posts the first lines of fiction books with a link to the book on Amazon.com.

TwitterLit was mentioned in Thing #20, but I didn't look into it at the time. KidderLit is the kiddy lit version of TwitterLit. Intriguing idea!


THING #9 CHALLENGE: FLICKS & BLIST (INSTEAD OF LAZYBASE)

I went back to PictureTrail to sign up for a free account. I then created a rotating cube flick of six of my favorite small pedal harp models: the Salvi Arion, the Camac Clio, the Lyon & Healy Style 85 Grand Petite, the Salvi Daphne 40, the Venus Penti Chamber, and the Venus Prodigy Chamber. Take a look.




Next stop, Lazybase. I'd been able to look at it, but it just didn't work properly the first time around, which is why I didn't explore it further. I gave it another try.

Alas, it was still no go. So I googled around to see if I could find something similar. I found a website for blist, which presents itself as an easy, sharable online database.

I signed up for a free account and created a database called Small Pedal Harps which lists make, model, features, and retail price of various 40- and 44-string pedal harps currently available in the U.S.

Check it out.




THING #10 CHALLENGE: FURL MORPHS INTO DIIGO

I clicked on the link to Furl, only to discover it has been absorbed by Diigo.com and is being phased out. While all the information about Furl remained on their site, I decided it wouldn't do me much good to learn about Furl if it would soon be subsumed into Diigo.

So I darted over to Diigo and discovered that it, like Del.icio.us, is a social bookmarking site--but with the attractive feature of allowing you to highlight text of interest in the websites you bookmark.

By highlight, I mean you can click and drag to choose the text, then click on a setting to cause that text to be overlaid with a broad swatch of transparent color--just as though you had taken a highlighter and used it on a text book you were reading.

You can also write a comment and attach that to your own private view of the webpage--just like glossing the text, adding a stickynote, or writing in the margin of your college textbook. You can tag, too.

The service seems to be aimed not so much at people casually surfing the Web, but at those who are information-gathering or conducting research of some sort.


A social networking aspect is also available, in that you can make your bookmark collections and commentary available for others to view. Users can join forums based on their common interests as well as chat with friends online.

I confess to finding this three-fold combination of bookmarks, highlighting, and commentary a pretty compelling idea. I am infinitely more interested in discovering what other people are reading and researching than I am in listening to them talk about themselves.

I am impressed by doers, not talkers. Talk is cheap. I'm afraid that over the years I have found most self-description to be neither interesting nor scrupulously truthful. I'd rather watch what people do than listen to them yak any day.

For this reason, the unique brand of social networking offered by Diigo (revolving as it does around the social bookmarking of informational sites) holds a certain amount of intrigue for me. Far more so than Gather's vapid chatter.

Having been unpleasantly surprised by an earlier social networking experience, I did not screw up the courage to join Diigo--yet. But I am actually thinking about it. I think I would like to return when I have greater leisure and check out the site more thoroughly.




THING #11 CHALLENGE: DIGG TOOLS

I'd already registered for Digg when I did Thing #11, so my challenge was to return and explore the tools in greater depth.

I took a look at the site before logging in: oodles of newsfeeds on all sorts of topics. Logging in didn't appear to change the view.

I clicked on Customize as perhaps the best bet for finding tools. I wandered around through the usual profile settings, uploaded my image, rejoiced in my lack of friends.

I wasn't able to successfully crop my image in Safari, so I logged off and logged in again using Firefox. The cropping function worked properly this time.

I saw absolutely nothing out of the ordinary in the profile section, finally stumbled across a link entitled Digg Tools. This page featured various widgets. I added a Digg 2.0 gadget to my iGoogle page and dugg three articles (one about personality, one about IQ, and one about neurology).

I tried other links: How Digg Works, Take a Tour, Diggbar Tools, Digg Dialogg. All pretty standard stuff.

Diggbar Tools lets you view Digg from any webpage you're on while websurfing. Digg Dialogg chooses celebrities as guests, of whom Digg members can ask questions. Current guests are 3 politicians and a popular musician. Yawn.

The Partnership Opportunities link mentioned a few more possibilities: add a Digg This button to a website so visitors can submit stories to Digg about their visit to the site. An RSS feed, an API (Application Programming Interface) to request information about Digg stories, other ways to feature Digg stories and videos on a website.

I just didn't see anything that groundbreaking. I have this eerie feeling that there must have been some neat feature I was supposed to find but didn't. Hope I didn't miss anything, but I gave the site a pretty thorough once-over.


THING #12 CHALLENGE: CREATE A WIKI

Already done. See my Thing #12 blogpost.



THING #13 CHALLENGE: LIBRARY THING WIDGET & GOODREADS

I tried to add a Library Thing widget to my blog once before and failed. I will try again.

When I logged into LibraryThing, I immediately saw a link entitled Widgets Get a Whole Lot Better. That looked promising, so I started there.

I didn't have enough books (only 7 so far) in my Library to choose the basic animation setting, so I opted for a basic list, showing three random books, expandable to fill the space it occupies.

I chose a book with its pages turning as my preloader image and customized the link setting to link to Library rather than to my profile.

Let's see what happens.

Alas, nothing. I experimented with different types of widget, different settings, different browsers, different points of insertion into the blog's HTML, but unfortunately, the widget still was not showing up.

I searched Blogger's gadgets to see if anybody had designed a different way to embed my LibraryThing Library into the blog, but only found a gadget to allow me to embed somebody else's Library. No thanks.

However, while searching, I did come across two other gadgets that looked neat. The first was Librarian's Book Revoogle, a search engine for finding online book reviews written by library staff and users.

The second was Children's Book of the Day, which features a new book each day from the Interational Children's Digital Library's free collection. (This was mentioned as a possibility under Thing #20, but I didn't investigate it at the time.)

Nifty! I installed both on my blog.

As for the second half of this challenge, I signed up for GoodReads as documented in my Thing #19 blogpost. I still have no friends. I looked once more for a dozen or so people I know, but nobody yet belongs to GoodReads. If I can chip loose a little spare time, I'll invite some to join.

Puttering about, I added another book to my shelf. When I saved the review, I saw an option to "blog this review" so I copied the code.

I'll paste it below and see what happens.



Adventures Of Cow Adventures Of Cow by Lori Korchek


My review


rating: 4 of 5 stars
Thoroughly clever and charming. Miraculously obtuse, Cow misinterprets everything that happens, yet still manages to come out right in the end. As funny for adults to read as it is for kids. Highly recommended.


View all my reviews.



Why look--there it is! I only had to clean up the code a little bit (insert a missing angle-bracket) to get it to display properly. A miracle.

I feel I have fulfilled the spirit of this challenge. Only three more to go. (I'm not doing the one listed under Thing #18.) Forward.




THING #14 CHALLENGE: BASECAMP VERSUS ZOHO PROJECTS

BaseCamp by 37 Signals, the outfit that also offers Backpack, is a project management software used by many major companies.

Its focus is on facilitating communication between collaborators online. Business Week praises it as being "so simple" and "addictively easy-to-use." Testimonials speak of the software being intuitive enough that staff and clients require no training.

The software enables companies to keep track of multiple concurrent projects and communicate with their clients online. Project managers assign tasks and deadlines, while staff and clients share files and keep track of time spent.

Dozens of add-ons such as mobile phone and desktop widgets, software development and time tracking tools, as well as billing and accounting apps broaden the software's functionality.

Basecamp offers a 30-day free trial and various pricing plans from $25 - $150 per month.

Zoho Projects is obviously gunning for the same market, advertising itself as software for "Online Project Managemtent and Collaboration. Plan, Track, Collaborate and Manage Your Projects Online."

Rather than dropping names of well-known clients, Zoho Projects pushes its functionality, quoting enthusiasts who praise its "feature-rich" setup which offers "TONS more features than other platforms out there" and is "by far my favourite."

Major features of the software include facilitating collaboration and file-sharing, time management, deadlines, and reports. It, too, represents itself as easy to use.

On the other hand, Zoho Projects is much less expensive. Zoho offers one project per month free, 10 projects for $12 per month, and an unlimited number of projects for $80 per month, about half what BaseCamp charges.

Both products seems to have a loyal following of satisfied customers. If I had a single project that I wanted to use as a test case for either software, I'd most likely try Zoho Projects first--unless the project were compressed enough to require no more than 30 days.

In that case, I might sign up for BaseCamp, then cancel before the first month's bill. However, I think that might be a risky proposition, since even short-term projects often run longer than initially anticipated.

Zoho Projects would definitely be the lower-cost option.



THING #15 CHALLENGE: SEARCHBOX FOR MY ROLLYO SEARCHROLL

I didn't understand this challenge at first. I wasn't sure if it was telling me to create aRollyo searchroll that includes my blog, or to create a Rollyo searchbox to include on my blog. The instructions seemed to be telling me to complete two separate operations.

I took my best guess and proceeded accordingly. Here is the result:


Powered by Rollyo

It looks like it might have worked. Appears to be a Rollyo searchbox, appearing in my blog, that will enable me to search my Rollyo Harps for Sale searchroll.

Simple enough. I wonder why the Rollyo Tools directions were so ambiguous?




THING #18 CHALLENGE: FACEBOOK VERSUS MYSPACE

Flashback to the trauma of joining Facebook. Am I foolish enough to take on MySpace as well?

Negative! One must draw the line somewhere.

Eyes rolling, nostrils flaring, my unicorn skin all aquiver, I wheel and plunge away, leaving this particular optional assignment unassayed.

"Hey, come back here," Princess Spanky Pants calls after me. "It's okay. Trust me. You'll like it. It's fun!"

"Eat my dust, social networking siren!" I neigh over my shoulder as I gallop toward the final challenge.


THING #20 CHALLENGE: BOOKS 2.0 IN DEPTH

In fulfilling this challenge, I took a closer look at some of the Books 2.0 sites mentioned in Thing #20: TwitterLit (and its juvenile version, KidderLit), BookLamp, What Should I Read Next?, Which Book, BookStumpers, Book Glutton and the Unbound Reader, Podiobooks, Open Culture, Facebook's Visual Bookshelf, Lookybook, Storyline, and Sillybooks, to be precise.




TwitterLit and KidderLit are such a great idea. I added a TwitterLit feed to my BlogLines feed sometime back and just recently put a TwitterLit gadget on my iGoogle page. I just added a KidderLit one as well to iGoogle--but I can't find a feed for BlogLines.

Both services are a ton of fun. I always click. I can't stand not knowing the book that first line is from.

My only thought on these two feeds is I wish there were a library version which would link subscribers to a nearby library's catalog rather than to Amazon.com.

If there isn't one (and TwitterLit and KidderLit aren't interested in starting one), perhaps someone in the library world should look into creating one. Just a suggestion!




BookLamp appeared absolutely fascinating to me. What an innovative concept in reader's advisory! By tracking six or eight key factors (pacing, plot density, level of action, etc.), the BookLamp team is--apparently quite successfully--creating graphs for works of fiction that a computer can interpret and upon which it can make recommendations.

More exciting still, because a computer can store information on far more books than any single reader or advisor (your friendly neighborhood librarian, for example) could ever have in his or her own personal mental database, BookLamp holds the potential to be able to fulfill one of the toughest tasks librarians ever get asked to do: help a patron find the next good read.

There wasn't an iGoogle gadget for BookLamp, alas, but I don't want to lose track of this site. It's undergoing development, still in beta, so I added an RSS feed to the BookLamp blog to my Bloglines account so I can keep up with the site as it matures. BookLamp was my cool find of the day.


What Should I Read Next? malfunctioned after just one try, although the results for that try were in the ballpark. I asked it to recommend readalikes for The Darkangel by Meredith Ann Pierce. I love reader's advisory sites.




Which Book is a site that I discovered years ago (I think it had a different name then) and I use whenever I'm trying to help someone with a tough reader's advisory question. The patron has to be reasonably articulate and self aware about his or her reading tastes and preferences for the results to be useful.

The way it works is you adjust a sliding scale for your choice of four from among a dozen possible characteristics of a book in order to tell Which Book how happy or sad, funny or serious, predictable or unpredictable, sexy or unsexy (and so on) a book you are looking for.

For example, do you want a book that is very happy, medium happy, halfway between happy and sad, a little bit sad, pretty sad--or what? Just adjust the slider in between the two extremes of each scale to define how much of a certain quality you want the book you seek to have.

Alternatively, you could choose various characteristics of the main character, setting, or plot that you want to read a book about and choose them instead.

Once you've made your choices, just click on Go to generate reading recommendations. This is a wonderful, useful site!




I regret to say that Loganberry Books' BookStumpers costs money.  It's a great idea, however, and if you're really stuck, $2 isn't too much to pay for help solving the riddle of that imperfectly remembered book haunting you from way back when.

From time to time I get questions like this on the public service desk.  Not too long ago, a querent asked after a children's book about a strange animal--part lion, part elephant--that protects children from nightmares by devouring their bad dreams.

I was able to track down what the mythological beast was that the story is about (the Japanese baku or dream-eater) and suggest several possibilities, but none of those books were the one for which  the patron was searching.

Had I known about BookStumpers, I could have mentioned it to the patron as alternative avenue for finding help. I'll be sure to let people I'm helping know about it in the future.


Book Glutton and the Unbound Reader looked wonderful. I'm assuming it carries only titles in the public domain. Still, what a great resource for students assigned to read a classic. Students can chat with others online while reading, leave comments on what they read, and later check back for responses. It's like a literature study group online.  Keen.




Podiobooks looked like a great idea to me: audiobooks serialized and syndicated as RSS feeds. The site has lots of interesting (to me) and less mainstream categories (Alternative History, Fantasy, Magical Realism, and Science Fiction, for example).

The reading is not of the stellar, professional quality one would find on a commercial audiobook by, say, Recorded Books or Books on Tape, but it's eminently listenable to. It's more like hearing a teacher or an author read aloud than a professional performance.

And of course, you can't beat the price. It's free (although donations are welcome, with 75% going to the work's author). I like this site.


Open Culture has been described (in Web / Tech, April 8th, 2009) as "a free, online collection of human knowledge," and indeed the site is full of useful categories of learning, including free audiobooks and university classes and foreign language lessons.

Formats vary. Some are MP3 downloads, others iTunes, RSS feeds, streaming audio, or website links. And it's all free. What a great idea!




Living Social's Visual Bookshelf for Facebook was something I'd considered adding on my first pass through Thing #20, but I'd decided against it for lack of time. I'm glad to have had the chance to go back and pick it up.

Signing up was easy. Four of my Facebook friends already use it. By way of getting started, I browsed through popular titles and added three I remembered reading, all titles I enjoyed. During the registration confirmation process, I added 10 more without reviews.

I expected to be able to see my Visual Bookshelf in Facebook, but apparently not so. I have to go to the Living Social homepage, but from there I can see my Facebook friends who belong to Living Social.

Not as cool or as visually exciting as I'd hoped, but good enough. Oh, well.


Lookybook proved to have gone out of business! When I clicked on the link from the 23 Things at NEFLIN blog, I was saddened to see that Lookybook has shut down "due to lack of resources."

Building a library of children's picturebooks online sounded like such a worthy idea.

I was hoping this was going to be a link I could recommend for ACLD's Summer Reading Program. Too bad!




The Storyline link on the NEFLIN blog was broken, but I was able to find www.storylineonline.net by Googling. The site is nicely put together, obviously intended to be appealing to and easily usable by young children.

I listened to the first few minutes of A Bad Case of Stripes, read by Sean Astin and found the production values to be first class. The site also includes suggested activities for each work. A thoughtful offering. This may well be a link we can use for the Summer Reading Program.


Sillybooks looks like another promising bet as a Summer Reader link. Kids can click on (untitled) pictures to see an animated rendering of a picturebook which a narrator reads aloud. There are also puzzles, contests, games, and music.

Some of the books are written by children and are winners of the "Books by Children" contest. The prize for winning the contest appears to be having your book published, narrated and animated online. I think kids will find this idea very appealing!




CHALLENGES MET

Okay. So now I've done all the challenges I'm going to do. (I only skipped the Thing #18 challenge, and that was on moral grounds.) I can hardly see straight. My hooves are tired from typing, and my son is demanding the computer.

So I will stop now and post. It's Monday, April 13th. If I find some time between now and Wednesday, April 15th (the original deadline for completing 23 Things), I'll go back and proofread, double check links and add more images.

If not, so be it. I feel like I put a lot of effort into this learning experience and gotten a tremendous amount out of it. I'm just sorry it had to be under such an unrealistic time pressure. That was sort of like creating an emergency that didn't have to be.

By all means I think we should do more Library and Web 2.0 explorations in the future, but it should be in smaller bursts, with more tightly focussed parameters.

Someone really needs to cut 23 Things into baby bites so that those of us who are still of tender years as far as our technological savvy is concerned won't find ourselves choking to death from biting off more than we can chew.

Enough. I expire.  Virtual Unicorn signing off.

4 comments:

  1. Your mention of book 2.0 sites made me more interested in a few of them than I had been; I'll have to go back and give those a shot.

    You mention searching for readalikes for The Darkangel--have you read anything else by Meredith Ann Pierce?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meredith Ann Pierce--I used to read her a lot more when I was younger.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hm. Seems she hasn't published anything lately, which might explain why you read her more when you were younger. Perhaps she doesn't know that the Obamas made $2.4 million last year in book royalties?

    BookLamp is focused far too heavily on sci-fi for me to tell if its recommendations suit me. I can tell, though, that they have a sense of humor: inputting /1984/ causes it to suggest that I read /USA PATRIOT Act/.

    ReplyDelete
  4. God's "strength of a unicorn" came up in conversation today, and in trying to verify that it is actually mentioned in the Bible, I stumbled across this delicious insanity: http://www.landoverbaptist.net/showthread.php?t=15441.

    ReplyDelete